30 Intriguing Facts About Snoop Dogg – Stoner Spotlight
This was an eye opener. It shouldn’t be a surprise that Snoop Dogg has led a storied life, given his intensely interesting public persona and long career. As the first of our Stoner Spotlight series, we took a deep dive into the Snoop Dogg’s background and found 30 random facts that might surprise you.
- Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr. was born October 20, 1971 in Long Beach, California.
- He was named after his stepfather, Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Sr.
- A DNA test read on Lopez Tonight revealed Snoop Dogg to be of 71% African, 23% Native American, and 6% European descent.
- His parents nicknamed him Snoopy as he apparently had a resemblance to the cartoon dog.
- Snoop was a member of the Rollin’ 20 Crips who ran on the East Side of Long Beach.
- Snoop formed a group called 213, named after the contemporary Long Beach area code, which included his cousins Nate Dogg and Lil’ ½ Dead and friend Warren G. They recorded homemade tapes before rising to fame.
- Snoop was in and out of prison after high school before putting his energy into hip-hop and striking it big.
- One of 213’s tapes came to the attention of Dr. Dre, who invited Snoop Doggy Dogg, as he was known then, to audition.
- Before the rise of pot stores and cannabis dispensaries, Snoop ran into trouble with the law over his use of the plant. In 2009 one of his entourage was arrested for importing to Virginia from a Canadian dispensary despite Snoop having a medical cannabis card at the time.
- Snoop Doggy Dogg’s debut album, Doggystyle, was released in 1993 and was the fastest-selling hip-hop album ever at the time.
- Snoop Dogg was charged with first-degree murder in 1993 after a member of a rival gang was shot and killed by Snoop’s bodyguard, McKinley Lee, aka Malik, who fired the shot while in the then 21-year-old rapper’s Jeep.
- This court case wasn’t resolved until 1995, delaying Snoop’s second album release. Tha Doggfather came out in 1996 but the gangsta rap movement had begun to wane in the intervening years.
- Snoop claimed the shot was fired in self-defence, and later testimony from the victim’s friend indicated that the victim, Phillip Woldermariam had indeed had a gun on him when he was shot.
- The case was overturned due to this evidence and the fact the LAPD’s incompetence led to Phillip’s clothing, bullets and shell casings being destroyed while in their holding.
- One Snoop Dogg fact which may surprise you is that he enjoys smoking cannabis! He now apparently smokes up to 80 blunts a day, openly, as he has access to medicinal cannabis dispensaries. He also has a professional blunt roller on staff who he pays $40,000-$50,000 per year.
- It’s rumoured Snoop Dogg has a genius IQ of 147. He himself posted an image featuring this rumour from RAPTVZONE on his Instagram, essentially confirming it. However, he only “confirmed” the headline through emojis, which could imply he was being sarcastic.
- Surprisingly, both he and fellow cannabis advocate Seth Rogen have said they aren’t fans of edibles.
- Snoop Dogg changed his name after a priest in Jamaica told him, “You are the light. You are the lion.” This was so inspiring that he immediately changed his name to Snoop Lion.
- Snoop released his first reggae album, Reincarnated, under the persona of Snoop Lion in 2013.
- He rebranded himself again as Snoopzilla in 2013 ahead of a funk album collaborating with Dam-Funk. He noted: “I’ve had funk influences in my music my whole career. Dam-Funk is cold. He’s keeping the funk alive and I knew I had to get down with him.”
- One of Snoop’s other alter egos is Todd, a character portrayed through whiteface and a blonde wig on his Instagram lampooning perceived stereotypes of white people. It’s safe to say he was a little bored around this time.
- Snoop is a huge sports fan, particularly enjoying football and basketball.
- Snoop coached football for 15 straight years, which is highlighted in the Netflix series Coach Snoop.
- On SnoopDoggTV, the man himself hosts a show called GGN – Double G News – which features celebrity guests, talk about cannabis culture and other topics of interest such as music, gossip, contemporary culture, shrooms, the best strains, old stories and new projects from other artists.
- As a natural supporter of pot stores and legalization, Snoop now part-owns a Canadian online cannabis dispensary.
- There’s an indica-dominant hybrid named Snoop Dogg OG supposedly grown from Lemon OG and Sour Diesel. We can attest to the fact that it makes for some heavy, heavy edibles though it’s tough to find said buds here in BC.
- He claims he loves going to the dentist as he’s such a fan of nitrous oxide AKA laughing gas.
- Not to let a medical condition go to waste, Snoop has had medicinal cannabis dispensary access since at least 2007 for migraines.
- After being hassled at the border in 2016, Snoop told Vancouver to “clean this sh*t up” as he was driving through an alley where people were openly doing heroin.
- He did return to Vancouver in 2019 to play at Rogers Arena and presumably buy out a few dispensaries. Cannabis stocks likely hiked during his visit.
Who should we shine our hazy spotlight on next? Let us know if we missed any fun facts about Snoop Dogg and if you’re looking for some of the cheapest ounces in Canada, you’ve come to the right place. Find the best deals on BC bud at our online pot store here.
Until next time, smoke responsibly.